Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Julie & Julia: Adding Zest to Life

Over the weekend I saw the new film, Julie & Julia and loved it! The movie is a wonderful blending of two true tales into a single delicious creation. Nora Ephron's screenplay follows the lives of Julie Powell and Julia Child, easily alternating between decades and continents. Julie lives over a pizzeria with her husband and spends her days listening to the troubles of individuals affected by the 9/11 terror attacks. Julia's story begins in 1948, when she and her husband relocate to Paris after he is assigned to a job in the embassy.

Julie and Julia are women of different times, different backgrounds and different mindsets but they have two things in common: both know that their lives aren't fulfilling and both love cooking (in Julia's case it's more about the eating). Julia dedicates her time in France to learning to cook. Julie dedicates a year of her life to cooking everything in Julia's cookbook and blogging about it.

I loved this film not just because Meryl Streep's Julia Child is shockingly spot on. Not just because Amy Adams' Julie feels like someone I know. Not just because Nora Ephron's script is funny and touching. I really loved this film because it's all about women who make their lives better by following a passion. (Note to self: passion=good, obsession=bad) I saw myself in their lives and felt a desire to go out and add more zest to my own existence.

Life can be awfully routine and difficult but filling the holes with passion can add polish to all the dull spots. Finding something to be passionate about seems to be the challenge. I guess that's why I like to try new things, one of these days I'll find the ONE thing that defines me. I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment